The Mauritius Volunteer Force represented the Soldiers serving the country at its own account. These soldiers of the British garrison were mainly of British, Indian and African origins, even though the officers were all British. Two places in Mauritius were these soldiers were frequently seen was in Curepipe and Port Louis. In those days the Soldiers quarters were in the ‘Casernes’ of Curepipe and the ‘Barracks’ in Port Louis. Bands and Marches were either organized on the Royal Road of Curepipe (as seen above) in front of the Royal College of Curepipe and in front of the Government House in Port Louis.
In this image of around 1922, we can see how the Royal Road in Curepipe was very lively, with the drummers walking ahead of the troup and the marching soldiers following them; Drummers and Gunners it would be. On the right side of the image we can see part of The Regent Pharmacy in the Salaffa building of the corner. The Merven brothers hadn’t yet purchased this plot of land to later construct their appartment building.
And another view of Guards marching in Port Louis: