In 1868, whilst the overall population of Curepipe was growing rapidly due to some epidemy on the lower grounds which encouraged many to move towards the plateaus, the church of Sainte Therese was erected by Comerford. He gave the name of Sainte Therese in souvenir of his sister, Mother Thérèsa Comerford, who was in charge of the religious presentations. Comerford stayed in Curepipe as from 1869, and in September 1869, Bishop Hankinson laid the first stone of the new church on this plot of land offered by Comerford. Even though the construction phase encountered many difficulties, the churh was finally completed on the 25th of December 1872 where the first mass together with Christmas was celebrated.
Somehow, with time and as years passed by, the church knew many amendments in its structure to obtain its final form round 1904. When viewed from the Municipal Garden, part which is on the right side of the Curepipe Town Hall, we can also see the Saint Joseph College somewhat behind the St Therese Church. The Saint Joseph College was initially meant as a Sanatorium and was first used in the years 1890s.