The first Loreto College opened in Port Louis in November 1845, initially in Bourbon Street but later in 1860 moved to Corderie Street till now. In those days, due to the insalubrious climate of the lower lands, especially in the Capital, frequent epidemics were one of the causes for a general movement of some part of the population towards the upper lands where the climate was cooler. As such, the Loreto Sisters Congregation decided to open another branch of the Convent in Curepipe.
The region chosen was ‘Curepipe Road’ at the entrance of the new town (Curepipe) where in 1871 the convent opened its doors. Curepipe was growing rapidly in population density but the Convent didn’t know much increase in its interns, due to the fact that the location was somewhat considered far. It was decided that the institution should be relocated to the town centre instead. Circumstances made that this decision had to be executed sooner as the country faced a contagious epidemy, and the Convent was partly transferred to the location of the current Central Electricity Board (a little opposite the St Therese Church) in a hired house from Mrs Vve Allendy until August 1898.
The Convent finally settled at Commerford Street where the land was obtained from the Diocese. The Loreto colleges are until now very well considered thanks to the Loreto sisters who maintained a consistant level of education. It is to be noted that the Loreto insitution was among the first in the region.