Found opposite the Curepipe Municipal Garden, the history behind the old Curepipe market dates back since 1878. At that time Curepipe was still a developping town. In the beginning, the market place of Curepipe was just a hall of teck wood covered with ‘bardeaux’, and to be more precise, it was erected on the 2nd of December 1878. This first building belonged to a wealthy man who made his business out of it. It was named ‘The Martial Market’ (Le Marché Martial) most probably because of its owner. Afterwards this was transferred under the control of the ‘Medical Bureau’, which again in 1915, transferred under the Board of Curepipe. It is good to note at that time there wasn’t a Municipality yet. It was the ‘Board’ which took all decisions, and the Board had its own selected members.
The Board of Curepipe pulled down that small market it was and in its place erected this much bigger building we can see in the picture above. The ‘New’ Market was constructed by Mr Maurice Loumeau and was inaugurated in 1917. Now we know the story that follows until 1975 where Cyclone Gervaise caused much damage to this building that decision was taken to pull it down and replaced by the eliptical style building we know of today, which unfortunately isn’t much acclaimed compared to the previous one.
Viewed from the Municipal Garden, the Old Curepipe Bus station was also visible with a double-decker bus on the complete right.