The Jummah Mosque located on Royal Street in Port Louis was opened in 1853 and has become the most prominent mosque in Port Louis, so much so, that the title of Pesh Imam (equivalent to high priest) was given to the priest in charge of the mosque. Between 1878 and 1895, various works were undertaken to enlarge and enhance the mosque. The construction of this mosque along corner Royal and Queen Streets were carried out to provide for the religious needs of the Muslim traders of the city to avoid them the long and tiring journey to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the first Asian prayer house of Mauritius in the eastern suburb of Plaine Verte.
Throughout the year, the Jummah Mosque is visited by Islamic personalities, scholars, naatkhwan, etc. One of the visits which the mosque receives is that of Maulana Shah Abdul Aleem Siddiqui Madani and his son Maulana Shah Ahmad Noorani Siddiqui every year, during the month of Rabi’ al-awwal. Muhammad Owais Raza Qadri, the naatkhwan from Pakistan has also made various Naat Programs in the mosque. Maulana Syed Ahmad Ashraf Jilani, Maulana Syed Kaleem Ashraf Jilani, Maulana Syed Aleem Ashraf Jilani have also visited.
The Jummah mosque houses the Mazar Shareef of Syed Peer Jamal Shah(;a waliullah from Cutch Naliya,India) in its backyard. This is a dargah where people come & pray.
The Jummah Mosque is known for live broadcasts of Jummah Prayers every Friday, taraweeh prayers during the month of Ramadan, Eid Prayers, and spiritual programs like Majilis for the first 10 days of Muharram, the first 12 days of Rabi ul Awwal, Mehfil e Ashurah & various ‘Urs Shareef held throughout the year.