One of the busiest and principal street in Port Louis, La Chaussée was built during the French Ruling period by the engineer Tromelin on the 1st July 1779, two months after the arrival of the Governor Vicomte de Souillac. This part of Port Louis, including the ‘Jardin de la Compagnie‘ was at the beginning a marshy land for which the initial landfill was started during the administration of Mahé de La Bourdonnais. This marshy land gave a very foul smell whenever the sea water came in or the rainy water from the mountains went down to the sea, reason why decision was taken to fill this part of the land (comblage).
La Chaussée was also mainly intended as a direct access for the military from the Barracks to the Government House. It is observed frequently in the past that all parades and military marches start from the Barracks to the Government House through La Chaussée, as seen below.
What made this part of Port Louis well known was because of the Jardin de la Compagnie and the National History Museum at the Institute.