Found in the South of Mauritius, the Rivière des Anguilles Bridge is quite a magnificent and well known bridge today. Over its famous river, it was initially a wooden bridge during the early British occupation and was primarily used to allow the passage of ox-driven carts and stage coaches as indicated on a tourism panel nowadays.
With time and evolution, its structure showed to be too weak and insecure for heavy road traffic. In 1878, a new bridge standing on three piers was constructed. It stands at 105 feet (35 meters) above the river bed and spans over 241 feet (80 meters).