It is quite rare to see such a scene where most of this part of Quatre Bornes isn’t much occupied, noticing the right part being most of bushes and trees, and this same view today will be all concrete everywhere. The wall on the left still exist and is very often sponsored by Paint Companies with colorful decorations and street arts. The building on the far left is much known as the ‘Pussy Cat’ building (not the real name but because of the Pussy Cat shopping store occupying part of the building) and still stands today between other taller and newer ones. Those who are used to this region will identify this picture being taken somewhat in front of ‘Shabaan’ fast-food.
St Jean Road in 2014
A little History about the Town of Quatre Bornes
In 1721, Wilhem Leicknig of Prussian origin settled on the island then known as Isle de France, the district of Plaine Wilhems was named after him. In 1740, French cartographer Guyomar drew the “Quartiers des Plaines Wilhems” where Quatre Bornes was shown as a forest which was slowly being colonised. Joseph François Charpentier de Cossigny named his region Palma and Governor Antoine Desforges Boucher named his region Bassin in 1764. During the British period, the St Jean church was built in 1850 and railway line was introduced in 1864. Quatre Bornes was proclaimed a village in 1890, then proclaimed “Town” under Governor Harman in 1896. The Bassin and Palma state was annexed to the Town of Quatre Bornes in 1967.