Back in the days of the French Colony period, there existed only 5 churches on the island. In the year 1770, Port Louis had the Saint Louis church, Vieux Grand Port (now Mahebourg) had the Notre Dame (des Anges) church, Pamplemousses had the Saint Francois D’Assise Church, St Pierre/Moka had the Saint Pierre-es-liens Church and Flacq/St Julien had the Saint Julien Church. After the take-over by the British, more churches were built through-out the island and nearly each of the growing regions of the island had one church to serve for religious beliefs.
The Saint Sauveur Church in Bambous was errected in 1849 into Paroissial category and still stands the same since its constructed. The good part, even costly, is that this church has still kept its shingled roof (bardeaux), among the very few others on the island. Found next to the entrance to the ‘La Ferme’ reservoir, this church is the only one in the Bambous region and is easily noticed.
The cemetery next to it has welcomed famous personalities of the time also based on the tomb-stones visible there. The church can be located here.
A few images of the current days of the Saint Sauveur Church